[mythtv-users] PVR 350 TV Out - Mandrake 2006 Problems

Jeff Simpson jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu
Wed Nov 29 16:31:25 UTC 2006

On 11/28/06, scott at tbwifi.ca <scott at tbwifi.ca> wrote:
> I am at the last step in getting my upgrade to the latest Myth version
> running.  I set things up on a previous release with the same hardware
> using Mandrake 2005.  Now I can't get past the TV out!  The Xorg.cong file
> I used previously from this Website does not work and seems to give
> various "unresolved" errors when starting X.

If you are getting unresolved references, it is most likely due to
using a precompiled driver that does not match the version of X you
are using. You will need to recompile the ivtv xdriver yourself to
make it work properly

> that perhaps the new ivtv drivers don't work with the previous settings
> that I may have used before.  After attempting to start X using this
> approach, I received errors that no screens were present.  I know I have
> the correct PCI slot setting and that I am using FB1 based on the tests
> recommended above.
>
> I suspect that my problem may be with the ivtv out driver and Mandrake.
> Unfortunately I haven't come across solid info on how to manage the
> install on Mandrake.
>
> Can someone please help?

The hard part will be getting that driver to compile in mandrake. I
assume there isn't a package already made for it. Gentoo has an ebuild
that seems to work, but not many other distributions are following
suit. You might be able to see how to build the normal fbdev driver
and match that to the ivtvdev driver (since they are very similar).
Another option is to just get the source and try to compile by hand,
which is probably the method most likely to work.