[mythtv-users] Firewire Success Stories?

Allan Wilson allanwilson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 14:10:44 UTC 2006

On 11/29/06, nik gibson <nik.gibson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a sure fire reliable firewire method for the 3250 cable boxes?
>
> Thanks
>
> On 11/27/06, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
> > Tom Greer <trgreer at gmail.com> says:
> > > I've experimented with multiple DCT-6200s and multiple DCT-6412s.  I
> > > have observed no difference in the reliability of the firewire
> > > output between the models.  Both are require persistence in
> > > establishing a reliable connection.  Then they will work *extremely*
> > > reliably for an unforecastable period of time.  Then they switch
> > > ports (or just decide to be flaky again) for no obvious reason.
> >
> > This--weeks, or months, of 100% reliability[1], followed by an hour or
> > two of frustration with migrating ports or whatnot before working
> > again for weeks or months--is exactly my experience with FireWire with
> > my two 6200s . . . *Before* I swtiched, as per Jim Westfall's advice,
> > to the method I outlined at
> > <URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/233570#233570>
> > (from one week ago).
> >
> > [1] Excluding channel switching, which always has and probably always
> > will fail once every 20-30 recordings.
> >
> > --
> > Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> | +1 650 776 7763 | San Francisco CA US

I have 99% reliability using one 3250 box but reliablility goes out the
window if I try to use two 3250 in one box. I think I am going to try one
3250 on one box and another or another frontend and see if that is reliable.
Pretty much what I have gathered from playing with firewire and these cable
boxes is on box is reliable on a 3250 and a 6200. If you are having problems
it probably has more to do with your setup such as firewire cards( ie bad
modules, I have a builtin firewire port that won't work reliably) or a bad
setup, (not using the priming software or having the right modules loaded).
I haven't seen as much on the list about the 6412 so I don't know about it
but if you have a 3250 or a 6200 I would say there is light at the end of
the tunnel and if you have a 6200 there is multiple tunnels.

Allan