[mythtv-users] Debian Install Question

Scott Martin smartin at steamvalve.com
Wed Nov 29 11:34:31 UTC 2006

shadestalker at gmail.com wrote:
> On 11/28/06, Scott Martin <smartin at steamvalve.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have come close to having a running a combo FE/BE mythtv on my Dell
>> box but am now confused. I was able to run mythtv-setup originally but
>> cannot anymore because It takes me back to a login screen.
>>

> I'm afraid I don't have any real ideas here, except that it sounds
> like mythtv-setup is crashing KDE or the X server.  I wouldn't run
> myth under a full desktop environment, most people seem to choose
> something lightweight like fluxbox.
>

>> One Debian question I must ask is can I safely run dselect to upgrade
>> packages without breaking things. for some reason mythweb will not upgrade?
>>

> What does 'apt-cache policy mythweb' and 'apt-cache show mythweb' say?

homebrewpvr:/home/smartin# apt-cache policy mythweb
mythweb:
Installed: 0.20-0.8
Candidate: 0.20-0.9
Version table:
0.20-0.9 0
500 http://www.debian-multimedia.org sid/main Packages
*** 0.20-0.8 0
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

homebrewpvr:/home/smartin# apt-cache show mythweb
Package: mythweb
Section: graphics
Installed-Size: 2560
Maintainer: Christian Marillat <marillat at debian.org>
Architecture: all
Source: mythplugins
Version: 0.20-0.9
Depends: mythtv-common (>= 0.20-0.0), apache2 | httpd,
libapache2-mod-php4 | php4 | libapache2-mod-php5 | php5, php4-mysql |
php5-mysql
Filename: pool/main/m/mythplugins/mythweb_0.20-0.9_all.deb
Size: 590918
MD5sum: ce564430c273c1012151aa74b761130a
SHA1: 352871becf76f8d1d0d0ce679352b1199786fe7a
SHA256: bf9da69fc188165b36eafbcf70a70d405101fb720e97bb9cdf48efbaed98ff28
MythWeb provides a web interface which can be used to view listings,
schedule recordings, delete recordings, and search for programs. It can
also browse mythmusic's music database, and may eventually support playing
music streams as well.
Bugs: mailto:marillat at debian.org

Package: mythweb
Bugs: mailto:marillat at debian.org
Architecture: all
Source: mythplugins
Version: 0.20-0.8
Depends: mythtv-common (>= 0.20-0.0), apache2 | httpd,
libapache2-mod-php4 | php4 | libapache2-mod-php5 | php5, php4-mysql |
php5-mysql
Conffiles:
/etc/mythtv/mythweb-config.php a418995956872964ed4719067d31340a
/etc/mythtv/mythweb-canned_searches.conf.php
669cca1df2d09620ed59f965093e136c
/etc/apache2/sites-available/mythwebdir 1130bb021a05cbf7c5b53f6a7c7cb44c
MythWeb provides a web interface which can be used to view listings,
schedule recordings, delete recordings, and search for programs. It can
also browse mythmusic's music database, and may eventually support playing
music streams as well.

> If there are new dependencies for the new mythweb, you can normally
> just 'apt-get install' it or 'apt-get dist-upgrade' to get all updates
> and new dependencies.
>

>> I am tempted to wipe the disk clean and start over again
>>
>> Any thoughts on whre to start looking?
>>

> Simplify as much as you can.  Run the minimum necessary to make mythtv
> work, and eschew the full-blown desktop environments.  See if anything
> else causes problems with X or your window manager.

I notice that my Nvidia X server settings window will also crash the KDE
or Xserver when i click on OpenGL/GLX information
> Finally, since
> you're running unstable, wait a few days and update everything and
> hope for the best.  I'm running my setup on etch and haven't had any
> fatal issues so far.

Thanks for helping
Scott Martin