[mythtv-users] An option for watching tv

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Nov 29 01:13:53 UTC 2006

On Nov 28, 2006, at 5:55 PM, Sunil wrote:

> > What you are  asking for is something other than a PVR, which is
> what Myth is.
> I understand what mythtv is for. I want to record some shows as
> well. But I want to watch tv as well, without it ever hanging on me
> with the minimal disk space I have.
>
> If dev time is the issue, then if I provide a patch for such a
> feature, would you accept it?
>
> And I don't understand the "philosophy" and "buy another product
> and use another program" thing at all. I wouldn't come to use
> mythtv if I had those options. Why do you have to be rude if you
> don't really feel like understanding the concerns of the users of
> your product? Are you the writer of mythtv?

I am certainly not the, or even a, writer of Myth. I am nowhere near
as clever as those folks.

I don't think anybody is being intentionally rude, just tired of
seeing the same thing posted month after month.

Myth is not intended for the type of "live" viewing you are talking
about, but many other software products are.

I'm sure if you were to submit code to do what you are talking about
it would be evaluated fairly and accepted if it didn't break other
things, it's just not a priority for the developers.

My reference to other hardware is because mpeg-encoding capture cards
are expensive compared to simple frame grabbers, and using one to
simply "view" TV seems to me to be a waste of money. You would be
spending money to encode video to mpeg, then burning CPU cycles to
decode it, losing quality along the way.

But you are certainly not the only one to express interest in such a
feature, if it interests you and you have the ability to code it by
all means go ahead, at least in my opinion.