[mythtv-users] OT: Filesystems for recordings

match at ece.utah.edu match at ece.utah.edu
Tue Nov 28 23:12:06 UTC 2006

On 28 Nov 2006 at 13:10, Allan Wilson wrote:

> Since backups where brought up do most users backup their recordings and video. I am
> recording a lot of hidef and it takes up about 800GB right now. I haven't been backing it up
> because the space is so large and the recordings change pretty frequently. I took the approach
> that it is just TV and I could live without it in case of a crash. Are most people doing backups using
> something like rsync or do most people live dangerously without backups? Just trying to get a feel
> for what everyone else is doing.

No, I never back up recorded video. What's the point? I end up recording FAR more stuff
than I ever find time to watch (even at 2X timestretch) and if MythTV ever crashes, my time
will be better spent rebuilding it,  rather than watching recordings anyway. After a day or two
back online I'll once again have more stuff recorded than I can find time to watch.

Besides, what would I backup 2.5 TB to? The cost in time and dollars is too great.

Marvin