[mythtv-users] H.264 Encoding - Need for a Command Line Tool for Analyzing Video Sources

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 21:48:38 UTC 2006

On 11/28/06, Joel Turner <jturner421 at aol.com> wrote:
> I'm working on a script that will be run as a user job post recordings
> for archival purposes.  I'm particularly interested if anyone is aware
> of a tool that will identify information about a recording such as video
> size, Framerate, original bitrate, movie length, progressive or
> interlaced, etc.. which I can output to a file.  I'd like to be able to
> read this information in and make a decision how to encode the video
> based on these parameters.  I plan on using x264 (mencoder) and the
> profiles that Sharktooth has posted on doom9.org as a basis for encoding
> the material. If I am successful, I plan on posting the script on the
> Wiki for use by the community.

> Thanks.

check gossamer for the script I posted to convert to "HR.HDTV". It has
mplayer commands for getting most of that information. original
bitrate can be tricky due to variable bitrate, your best bet for this
if you want an average is to take the file size and movie length and
do some math. As for progressive/interlaced, this is even trickier,
though you can make some assumptions like 1280x720=720p=progressive,
1920x1080=1080i=interlaced, PVR content is interlaced, etc.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!