[mythtv-users] OT: mounting LVM

Leigh lsaunderson at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Nov 28 21:37:41 UTC 2006

jack snodgrass wrote:
> On 11/28/06, Brad Fuller <bradallenfuller at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I installed Linux (gentoo) on another hd and would like to mount another
>> drive (FC5) to copy files. The FC5 is LVM. I've searched on how to mount
>> the disk, but all I can find is specifics on how to use LVM, how to
>> shrink/grow, nothing about mounting it. Anyone know?
>>
>> thanks!
>> brad

I've recently done similar on my work machine after installing FC6  on a
seperate HDD, to copy various files (vids, configs , music etc) from the
FC5 install, tho I don't know if this will work for sure on a non Fedora
install, I think the LVM commands are pretty standard.

Use 'lvscan' to find out which logvol you need (if you try to just mount
the partition for a LVM it says it's busy or already mounted..)
this is the output from it on my work machine..

[root at sukpc2 ~]# lvscan
  /dev/cdrom: read failed after 0 of 2048 at 0: Input/output error
  ACTIVE            '/dev/VolGroup01/LogVol00' [72.44 GB] inherit
  ACTIVE            '/dev/VolGroup01/LogVol01' [1.94 GB] inherit
  ACTIVE            '/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00' [72.44 GB] inherit
  ACTIVE            '/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01' [1.94 GB] inherit

In my case, VolGroup01 is the current system main partition, while
VolGroup00 is the older FC5 setup, so I just mounted
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 to get at the older content/saved files..

[root at sukpc2 ~]# mount
/dev/mapper/VolGroup01-LogVol00 on / type ext3 (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
/dev/sdb1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 on /mnt/fc5 type ext3 (rw)

Hope that helps..