[mythtv-users] OT: Filesystems for recordings

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Nov 28 18:26:48 UTC 2006

On Nov 28, 2006, at 11:15 AM, Allan Wilson wrote:

> I was under the impression that if you lost a drive in an LVM you
> where pretty much hosed. Is this not true? With the new incremental
> deletes would there be any reason to not use ext3? It's what I have
> used before Myth and never really had any problems.

You certainly could be hosed, but there is a better chance of being
able to recover files or at least parts thereof then there would be
with a RAID0 system.

With LVM you might be able to recover files on the remaining good
drives(s) whereas this is a lot less likely with a RAID0 system. With
a 2-drive RAID0 system a single drive failure would pretty much
guarantee that about half of each file would be gone.

Of course if the failure is on the control board you can sometimes
just replace that and get the platters working again. If the heads
have actually crashed the data under them is pretty well gone forever.

The real answer in any case is BACKUP, BACKUP and BACKUP again :-)