[mythtv-users] OT: Filesystems for recordings

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Nov 28 17:09:04 UTC 2006

On Nov 28, 2006, at 8:51 AM, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 10:50:38AM -0600, Allan Wilson wrote:
>>    I am planning on rebuilding my mythbackend since I got in some
>> new hardware
>>    and I am planning on using LVM to span across a couple of
>> drives. I have 4
>>    or 5 video sources through PVR cards and firewire. I will have
>> somewhere in
>>    the neighborhood of 1 to 1.5 TB of storage. I was wondering
>> what everyone
>>    would recommend for using as the filesystem type for the LVM
>> storage? Last
>>    go around I was using XFS but I was wondering if there was
>> something better
>>    to use because of all the read/writes and large filesystem
>> size. So what do
>>    you think.
>
> Check the archive; we did this last month.
>
> I use XFS (though not on the root partition), some people prefer, I
> think, JFS.

I use JFS and am quite happy with the performance. My only issue is
if my box goes down unexpectedly (power out or something), it doesn't
always come back clean. I need to run fsck.jfs before I can mount
them again but I never have a problem after running it. I wish there
was better support for checking for these errors on boot and
automagically running fsck.jfs if needed.