[mythtv-users] Recording SkyTV on MythTV box?

drbob drbob at gmx.co.uk
Tue Nov 28 16:44:17 UTC 2006

Mike Dent wrote:
> Hi,
> I'd just like to confirm that somebody is actually doing this? Are
> there any pitfalls or gotchas I should beware of :) ?
> We have Sky in the UK and and present scart feeds our Tivo box.
>
> I plan to replace the Tivo with Myth but would like to retain the
> ability to record from Sky and have Myth change channels on the Sky
> receiver etc.

I don't have sky but I know other people are doing what you describe.
The Hauppauge PVR-150
<http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/pages/products/data_pvr150.html> has a built
in IR blaster which is supposed to support SKY boxes. However Linux
support for the IR blaster is pretty recent, see here
<http://www.blushingpenguin.com/mark/blog/?p=24>. If you get this be
sure you know which version you're buying, many places sell an OEM
version which doesn't have the IR hardware or a Windows Media Centre
version which comes with a USB IR blaster that requires a different
driver (now built in to lirc)

Otherwise you'll need an IR transmitter (such as those sold here
<http://www.irblaster.info/index.html>), in addition to the TV card, to
control the sky box.

--
drbob