[mythtv-users] Same channels on different sources

Gary Dawes gary.dawes at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 16:21:16 UTC 2006

On 28/11/06, Michael Lynch <lynchmv at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/28/06, Sven Lankes <mythtv at killefiz.de> wrote:
> > I am running a mythtv 0.20 machine that has two dvb-cards. One is DVB-T
> > and one DVB-C - there three types of channels in my setup:
> >
> > 1. Those that are available only on DVB-T
> > 2. Those that are available only on DVB-C
> > 3. Those that are available on both cards
> >
> > What is the right way to tell mythtv that a channel is the same on
> > source a and b so that it doesn't record a show twice if it's set to
> > "always Record on any channel"?
> >
> > Do I need to set the xmltv-id to the same value? Or the channel name? Or
> > the channel id? Or all of them? Or something else?
> >
> > I had this working with DVB-T and analog cable in the last incarnation
> > of my mythbox but cannot re-figure out how to do it now.
> >
> > --
> > sven
> >

> I have a somewhat similar situation where I have a few of the same
> channels on FTA and cable (ABC, NBC, CBS...etc).  I have 2 lineups on
> zap2it, my cable TV provider lineup and the lineup of channels I get
> from FTA.
>
> At first, I didn't include these duplicate channels in my zap2it
> lineup for my FTA box, but after I got it stable I added the channels
> to my FTA lineup.  Myth now magically knows that if the FTA box is
> recording something on another channel it needs to record my
> {ABC,NBC,CBS...etc} show over the regular cable, and vice versa.

It's fairly easy really, for each duplicated channel, just ensure that the
channel name, callsign and number are the same.

If you want the same xmltv data for each channel, then just ensure that the
xmltv field is the same on each channel, and that you have the xml field
entry in each video source.

Myth will then display the epg data once for each duplicated channel. If you
have duplicates, just check in myth-setup that the entries are the same. You
won't need to change mythbackend after each change.

Gary