[mythtv-users] how to make frontend recover from MPEG problem

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Tue Nov 28 15:42:20 UTC 2006

Cole Brodine wrote:
> I'm not sure how to make it recover "automatically".  I'd recommend
> looking into why it is crashing and seeing if you can do anything about
> that.  Try running mythfrontend from a console and seeing what the
> output is when it crashes.  Maybe you can figure out why and fix it.
>
> Feel free to post that output here, I'll gladly take a look at it if I can.
>
> Is it crashing the frontend?  Or is it just freezing the video?

It is not crashing. It is just stopping playback of the LiveTV stream.
Either with an error or with the freeze frame thing.
I guess this is due to some unrecovered MPEG error, combined with XvMC
etc on my VIA SP8000. The BER is in the 00xxx range and I cannot really
change much about that. (antenna is on wrong side of the room, other
side has stuff in the way as well)
Unrecovered blocks are rare, when watching the quality with a tzap test.

So the software would need a patch to really change the beviour?