[mythtv-users] Any poing in going from 3000+ to 3400+ Seperon

Ben Edwards funkytwig at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 09:05:12 UTC 2006

> On Nov 24, 2006, at 9:17 AM, Marco Nelissen wrote:
>
> >> I have a AMD Socket 754 Motherboard with a Seperon 3000+ 128kb.  I
> >> have started encoding a lot of stuff into xvid which is very slow.
> >> The only CPU I can up grade to is a Seperon 3400+ 256kb.  The
> >> speed is
> >> not that much more but it has twice the cashe.  Will I notice much
> >> difference (when encoding xvid).
> >
> > It's called 'Sempron', and I don't think you will notice any
> > difference.
> > This article shows about a 5% speedup between the 3100+ and the 3400
> > + on
> > most benchmarks: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/200
> > Measurable, but not noticable ;)
> > You don't say what motherboard you have, but some Athlon64 processors
> > are available as socket 754. You might want to doublecheck whether
> > those
> > would work in your motherboard.
>
> When you say "the only CPU I can upgrade to..." is this an economic
> issue or a technical one?
>
> I've been using an Athlon64 3700+ "Clawhammer" as my main Myth F/E B/
> E machine for months now and it works just fine. I've never heard of
> a mobo that would support a Sempron and not an Athlon, and the 754
> Athlons are getting pretty cheap, at least in the USA.

Dont want to have to change the motherboard because I would also
probably have to get a new flower fan and possibly memory.  I thought
the Athon64s were not being made any more (dabs.com in the UK don't
sell them) but will look into this further.  How long does it take to
encode 1 hour in nuvexport in the default settings (multi pass) where
not a lot else is happening?

Ben

> I doubt seriously that the CPU upgrade you mentioned would be much of
> improvement, and probably not worth the effort unless the 3400+ was
> *very* cheap, or free.

Ben Edwards - Brussels & Bristol, UK, England
If you have a problem emailing me use
http://www.gurtlush.org.uk/profiles.php?uid=4
(email address this email is sent from may be defunct)