[mythtv-users] How do I disable TVout and use just a computer monitor?

Gary Taylor squeaky at sdf.lonestar.org
Mon Nov 27 22:17:25 UTC 2006

I've got a new (first time) installation and when I attempt
to watch LiveTV on my computer monitor I get a black screen.
I'm pretty sure it's capturing because I see hard drive
activity (and mplayer /dev/video0 works).  I understand it's
possible to use MythTV without a TV hooked up?  Some
friendly folks on IRC told me to disable TVOut, but since I
don't have a TV to test with I'm not sure that I have TVOut
enabled to begin with.  So how would I disable TVOut and get
LiveTV displayed in an X Window?

Can I display LiveTV in a window so that I can continue
using the workstation for email, web, etc.?

In the future when I do have a TV connected, can mythTV be
used as a PVR and as a family workstation for email,
browsing, word processing etc. ?

MythTV ver. 0.20
Debian etch
Hauppauge PVR-350