[mythtv-users] Problems with HDHomerun

Michael Tiller michael.tiller at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 19:01:36 UTC 2006

In case anybody comes across this thread looking for answers, I seem to have
resolved most of my problems.  The key appears to be in getting the channel
scan correct.  I ultimately did the channel scan pretty much as directed in
the HDHomerun installation instructions but then I entered the xmlvids
myself.  I didn't use the channel editor in mythtv-setup (that seems pretty
tedious).  Instead, I used the channel editor in MythWeb.  Once I got the
xmlvids correct things seemed to fall into place.  A follow up
mythfilldatabase seemed to do the trick (I can't remember if I used
--refresh-all or just --delete).

Note that I did eventually upgrade to the SVN version (0.20-fixes branch)
because I eventually got QAM going on the other tuner.  Now that I've got it
figured out, it all seems to work quite reliably.  It is quite sweet having
one analog capture device, one OTA capture device and one QAM capture
device.  All in all, I think the HDHomerun is a great piece of hardware for
the MythTV crowd.

P.S. - To get the xmlvids I followed somebody else's advice on this list
about using www.zap2it.com (not labs.zap2it.com) to grab the 'stnNumber' out
of the URLs and use those as my xmlvids.  You'll have to find the detailed
instructions on the mailing list somewhere.

--
Mike

On 11/21/06, Michael Tiller <michael.tiller at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/22/06, Tom Lichti <tom at redpepperracing.com> wrote:
>
> > Sorry, can't really help you as both the tuners on my HDHR work great,
> > one OTA and one QAM. Have you tried the SiliconDust forum? Jafa is quite
> > helpful there, although I know he is on this list as well.
>

> Yes, I've gotten one response from Jafa over there (still waiting for a
> response on my latest info).  I posted here simply because it could also be
> a MythTV bug or something (hence the logs).  I just hope I don't have bad
> hardware.  I probably messed something up during configuration.  The problem
> is there aren't any diagnostic messages explaining why the backend is
> crashing.
>
> I should probably try to generate a gdb stack trace.  I don't know how to
> do that so I'll have to do some digging (at a minimum).

Tom