[mythtv-users] Some questions from beginner user of MythTV!

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 16:30:54 UTC 2006

On 27/11/06, Mike Dent <mcdent at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I attempted to setup a couple of MythTV boxes some time ago but ran in to some
> problems, mainly lack of time!
>
> Anyway I'm back again after a while away! I'm still looking at a
> system to replace
> my UK Tivo. I considered Windows Media centre but really would prefer
> not to use that if I can help it!
>
> I have some questions/concerns and would really appreciate any input
> on the following please......
>
> I want a system which is pretty reliable and easy for the wife to
> use!? Yes 'wife acceptance' is probably a major item!

I think she'll be impressed.

> Both our kids have version 1 Xboxes in their rooms, so the ability for
> them to receive content would be good.? (these Xbox have mod chips
> installed).

... as will your kids.

> My idea was to have a frontend box in the lounge, a quiet PC is
> obviously a must for this and we have UK Sky (not Plus) here too, so
> I'd like to be able to record from that and control its channel
> changing from Myth? I have a Nemiah 1.0Ghz - EPIA 5000 tiny PC, is
> this CPU man enough for a front end with a WinTV PVR-250 card which I
> have?

Are you sure that's what you have?  I have an EPIA M10000, which has a
1GHz Nehemiah in it - I thought the 5000 used a 533MHz CPU?  Anyway my
M10000 works fine, initially as a combined FE/BE with a PVR-350 card
for capture and output and without the PVR-350, as just a frontend,
using the onboard video hardware (15-20% CPU usage playing back
freeview DVB captures)

> A larger more beefy PC at the backend with big disks and possibly two
> digital TV (freeview) inputs would be installed in the loft.
>
> Will the USB types work well?

I'm also using a Hauppauge Nova-T USB on FC5, with no problems.

> This box would do some other stuff, possibly run my security cameras
> which have their own PC at the moment in the loft running Zoneminder,
> an approximate spec of PC required for this would be welcome?
> (currently a 1.4Ghz P4 with 512mb for zoneminder)
>
> I'm also not sure how the backend is controlled from the frontend or
> more specifically the user interaction of programming and viewing
> content? Does the user need to have knowledge of the setup of the
> system or is this mainly seamless?

Everything is controlled via the frontend.  The frontend contacts the
backend in order to enable recordings, change channel etc.  The only
issue you'll have with your backend in the loft is that you probably
won't be able to use any remotes that come with your capture cards.