[mythtv-users] "NVP: prebuffering pause" in mythfrontend.log

Michael Tiller michael.tiller at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 16:16:33 UTC 2006

On 11/27/06, Tom Lichti <tom at redpepperracing.com> wrote:

> Michael Tiller wrote:
> > I have exactly the same issue (Xv errors followed by prebuffereing
> > pauses).  I would also really appreciate any advice people have.
> >
> > In my case, my CPU load is around 93-96% (despite XvMC being on, as
> > evidenced by the gray OSD) during HD playback.  I'm running Ubuntu 6.10
> > on a 2.8 GHz Pentium D with 1.2 Gb of RAM.
> >
> > --
> > Mike
>
> I was just trying this last night and had the same problem. 99% CPU
> utilisation, same errors in the log, with a dual core Pentium D 2.8GHz
> 512GB RAM, on CentOS 4.4, GigE network, QuadroFX video card. This should
> be PLENTY of hardware to play this file.

I would have thought so although with all the talk about XvMC this list I
was puzzled.  I just got my HDHomerun and if I send the stream to my Windows
P4 2.4GHz desktop machine it renders the direct HD stream without any
problems (I didn't check the CPU utilization under Windows).  I don't
understand why there is so much fuss about HD decoding under Linux (but I'm
pretty ignorant :-).

Without XvMC, I get about 65% CPU, with BOB de-int enabled, and it plays
> perfectly.

Well, my situation is different.  I still get 99% CPU utilization without
XvMC.  At least with XvMC it seems like the video is running at (or close
to) real time whereas without it the video looks like slo-mo.

I'm totally bummed that my Myth system can't seem to handle HD.  I'm still
sorting through all the different advice on the mailing list but it is still
surprising to me that this machine strains so much under the HD load whereas
my Windows machine (which I did *nothing* to optimize) handles it so easily.

Tom

So far this thread is long on questions and short on answers. :-)

--
Mike