[mythtv-users] Proper Recording Resolution and Video Quality

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 14:16:41 UTC 2006

On 11/26/06, Justin Luitjens <luitjens at cs.utah.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to figure out what the right recording resolution is for
> standard definition TV within the US.  Also I've noticed that my picture
> quality isn't nearly as clear as it is watching through just the TV.  I
> have a PVR 350 and a PVR 500 in my system on all 3 tuners.  The
> recording bitrate is set at 4800 with the max bitrate set at 6000.  The
> picture seems blurry and pixelated to me using both the kernel and bob
> filter.  Anyone have an idea what might cause this poor picture quality
> or what I can do in general to make the quality as good as it is when
> watching the tv straight from the wall?  For example what bitrates do
> you need in order to not loose noticeable quality.

If you ever want to use mytharchive the answer is 720x480. I originally had
it
set to 480x480 and switched to 720x480 without changing the bitrate and I do

not notice any quality difference but the picture is formatted properly to
play
on my dvd player without rescaling. At 720x480 in 2.2GB/hr mode my
recordings
do not look any different from live tv (analog) on my 36" sony HD tv.

John