[mythtv-users] Firewire Success Stories?

Larry K lunchtimelarry at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 00:49:08 UTC 2006

I've been running MythTV for just under two years, recording from analog
cable using dual PVR 250s.  Recently, I took the plunge into HD, so my cable
provider (Adelphia, soon to be Comcast) left me a Motorola DCT-6412 digital
cable box (with dual PVR capability).

I've been reading the discussion archives, trying to learn as much as I can
about capturing from the DCT-6200/6412 via firewire.  From what I can tell,
it appears as though a firewire connection to the DCT-6412 is pretty darn
flaky.  Maybe the DCT-6200 is better, but the degree to which it improves
things is hard to determine from reading the archives.  Either that, or
people having success are happily recording and not saying much about it.

So, a few questions come to mind...

Is the DCT-6412 a lost cause as a source for mythtv?

Will a DCT-6200 work "good enuff" to make it worth trading in the 6412 and
losing the one PVR that can record all my digital channels and encrypted
premium channels?

Since my myth box currently has no firewire capability, which firewire card
should I get?  Jarod recommended a Western Digital OrangeLink card months
ago, but those don't seem to be around anymore.  Can I assume any vendor
using the OrangeLink chipset is a go?

Looking forward to hearing your success stories and your advice!

Larry