[mythtv-users] incomplete Deletes on a shared SMB directory

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Sun Nov 26 19:27:55 UTC 2006

Since my mythbox has a smallish drive, I have taken to periodically using
the myth_archive_job.pl script to toss the larger mpg files to a Samba
(CIFS) share on a machine with a larger drive. (Boy, the file sizes
involved are making me look to converting to gigabit ethernet).

I have noticed, though, that when I 'D'elete a recording that lives on the
other machine, I am left with a residual piece of the original file. For
example, I had this recording originally:

-rwxr--r-- 1 jerome jerome 2697689088 Nov 16 03:11 1040_20061115050000.mpg

After watching it through Myth, I deleted it using Myth, but now I'm left
with this file on the storage machine:

-rwxr--r-- 1 jerome jerome     751616 Nov 26 02:29 1040_20061115050000.mpg

Both the thumbnail png and softlink to the file are deleted from the
mythbox. The database is updated, insofar as the program doesn't show up
in Recorded Programs anymore.

The piece that remains can be played in Xine, so it's a valid mpg, and it
shows about a second or two of the recorded program.

This happens for anything I delete, not just this case.

I'm running Fedora Core 5 on both machines, using extfs. The non-Myth box
is a couple 2.6 kernel revisions older, but otherwise I keep both boxes
pretty current (within a week or two).

An oddity in Myth? Samba? Softlinks?