[mythtv-users] query speedup?

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Sun Nov 26 10:07:19 UTC 2006

F Peeters (MythTV) wrote:
> On Sun, November 26, 2006 10:39, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>> On Nov 26, 2006, at 1:31 AM, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Where can I find tips to speed up the database of MythTV?
>>> MySQL takes 90+ seconds to list Recorded programs in MythWeb. (only 92
>>> programs from 1 channel)
>>> The machine is ~50% idle during the query.
>>> How can I find out why this query takes so much time?
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>> Udo
>> You should run optimize_mythdb.pl. It's in the contrib directory. In
>> fact, it's recommended that you set it up as a cron job and run it
>> every night. If that doesn't help, you can tweak the MySQL settings.
>> There's recommendations for those settings on Jarod's guide here:
>> http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php#mysql
>>
> Or try turning off the thumbnails in the MythWeb settings...
>
> Apparently it rebuilds those every time you refresh the page, because on
> my box loading time went down from 120+ seconds to about 10 seconds by
> disabling pixmaps option...

Thanks for the tips. (you are quick!)
optimize_mythdb.pl does not make much of a difference for this situation.
The thumbnails tip is kinda strange: when a show is recorded a png of
the right size is generated automagically. On the webpage the png is of
the same size as in the directory with the recordings. In the access_log
the png is even cached.
So what happens?
I want my thunmbnails, I assume they are gone with disabling the pixmap
option you mention?

Can I consider this a bug? (pending finding out where the majority of
the time is lost)