[mythtv-users] Deciding when to upgrade ATrpms

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Nov 25 17:14:57 UTC 2006

On Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 09:21:51AM -0600, jim scott wrote:
> I've been running mythtv-0.20 on FC5 for a couple weeks now using the
> ATrpms. Everything is working good enough for me. I see that there are new
> packages available as of yesterday:
> mythtv-0.20-147.fc5.at.i386.rpm<http://dl.atrpms.net/all/mythtv-0.20-147.fc5.at.i386.rpm>.
> When I choose the "more" option on the ATrpms page I get a 404
> error.

Yes, the web site scripts aren't in good shape. Almost noone used the
web browsing anymore, so they are degenerating :/
They will eventually be fixed or replaced with something else, but
that's a very low priority.

> As the FAQ says, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

That's a wise saying.

> I don't see any recent posts from Axel on this list.

How more recent do you want me to have posted?

42466   F 061120 To Discussion about   57 Re: [mythtv-users] Stuck at 640x480 after isntalled Axel's kernel modules
42760   F 061121 To Discussion about   54 Re: [mythtv-users] mythweb addition
42879   F 061122 To Discussion about   63 Re: [mythtv-users] Gigabyte Nforc3 + x86_64 + PVR150 + FC6 no worky
42891   F 061122 To Discussion about   56 Re: [mythtv-users] gui and unwanted plugins
42896   F 061122 To Discussion about   74 Re: [mythtv-users] gui and unwanted plugins
43197   F 061124 To Discussion about   56 Re: [mythtv-users] mythcommflag and mythtranscode in the frontend package? (was
43198   F 061124 To Discussion about   86 Re: [mythtv-users] gui and unwanted plugins

> Since Axel's RPMs work so well, do users generally upgrade whenever
> new packages are available? Or is there someplace I can look to see
> what improvements are included in the 147 release? Thanks.

There is a changelog in the packages, but in 95% of all cases it will
contain "updated to svn fixes revision soandso". E.g. new packages
usually mean new fixes from the -fixes branch. You should therefore
monitor the fixes branch and make your upgrading dependent on that.

In general, if the packages appear in atrpms-stable, then they are the
recommended ones to use. More experimental changes land in
atrpms-testing or even atrpms-bleeding (there will soon be svn trunk
builds there, *never* use these for production, only for helping
developers in testing and bug reporting).
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net