[mythtv-users] Burning DVD with MythArchive

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Sat Nov 25 15:20:31 UTC 2006

jim scott wrote:
> On 11/22/06, *John* <jharitos at yahoo.com <mailto:jharitos at yahoo.com>>
> wrote:
>
>     I'm having a horrible success rate in burning DVD
>     using MythArchive as I'm getting maybe 1 in every 10
>     recordings to burn. From looking at the log files it
>     looks like the audio/video gets out of sync causing
>     mplex to drop too many frames thus resulting in an
>     error. I have 'Allow MythTranscode" set which states
>     it'll fix sync issues but it must not be working.
>     Anyone know how to fix this? I've attached some snips
>     from my log file.
>
>     Video: aspect ratio: 4:3  size = 720x480  frame rate:
>     29.970 fps  bit rate: 104.86 Mbit/s
>       vbvbuffer 1359872
>     Sequence Extension: chroma 4:2:0   size = 720x480  bit
>     rate: 104.86 Mbit/s  vbvbuffer 1359872  frame rate:
>     29.970
>     starting with video PTS:  0:00:00.500
>     AC3 stream:  bit rate: 192 kb/s  freq: 48000 Hz
>
>     ++ WARN: [mplex] Stream e0: data will arrive too late
>     sent(SCR)=191518427 required(DTS)=191496311
>     ++ WARN: [mplex] Video e0: buf=   2025 frame=063764
>     sector=00366008
>

> I am in now way an expert on MythBurn or MythArchive. I've run enough
> files through mplex to have similar errors. Rather than a sync issue,
> are you sure that you're not exceeding the max DVD bitrate? If your
> video is 10400 kb/s and your audio is 192 kb/s, then I would guess
> that's the culprit. I believe the max total bitrate for a DVD is
> around 10080 <http://www.videohelp.com/dvd>kbs. I would try using a
> lower bit rate for your video -- say, 8500 kbps.
>
> Again, I'm not an expert, but I'd take a hard look at whether you are
> exceeding the DVD's capabilities. mplex enforces the DVD bitrate limit
> for you.

Thats interesting to know. I knew about the max bitrate for DVD's but
not that mplex enforced a max bitrate. Could well explain a lot of the
problems people have had with mplex failing. If that is the case the
only option is to put in a check to make sure the max isn't exceeded and
if it is the file will _have_ to be re-encoded to a lower bitrate.

Paul H.