[mythtv-users] lousy playback quality with xvideo (nvidia)

Willy Boyd willyboyd at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 04:59:10 UTC 2006

Just responding to a message I found in the archives with the same
subject, because it describes that exact same problem I'm seeing.  I
have the Chaintech 7nif2 board with an onboard gf4mx.  After one of my
recent nvidia driver upgrades I saw the random white flickering
happening on playback.  I downgraded back, and the problem went away.
Today I had to upgrade again to get 1360x768 resolution (yay for new
TV!), because what I had (a 7xxx series, not at the box now) would
only do 1280x768.  Anyway I've tried drivers 8762, 8776 and 9629 (FC4,
2.6.17 kernel I think), and the flickering is there on all 3.  I
hadn't thought to try testing with MPlayer using openGL instead of
xvideo, I will try that tomororrow.  I just wanted to chime in that
I'm seeing the exact same problem.  And now with the new TV i'm using
VGA so it's not even a tv-out issue.  I know there's a multitude of
options that can go in the xorg.conf file, and I'm just hoping with
trial and error I can figure out a fix.  Just knowing that the older
drivers work flawlessly (aside from not recognizing then newer res),
there's gotta be some specific change I can hopefully override or
whatnot.