[mythtv-users] Any poing in going from 3000+ to 3400+ Seperon

Marco Nelissen marcone at xs4all.nl
Fri Nov 24 16:17:28 UTC 2006

>I have a AMD Socket 754 Motherboard with a Seperon 3000+ 128kb.  I
>have started encoding a lot of stuff into xvid which is very slow.
>The only CPU I can up grade to is a Seperon 3400+ 256kb.  The speed is
>not that much more but it has twice the cashe.  Will I notice much
>difference (when encoding xvid).

It's called 'Sempron', and I don't think you will notice any difference.
This article shows about a 5% speedup between the 3100+ and the 3400+ on
most benchmarks: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/200
Measurable, but not noticable ;)
You don't say what motherboard you have, but some Athlon64 processors
are available as socket 754. You might want to doublecheck whether those
would work in your motherboard.