[mythtv-users] Enabling XvMC

Jake Thompson jake at jakethompson.com
Wed Nov 22 18:12:36 UTC 2006

On 11/22/06, Tom Lichti <tom at redpepperracing.com> wrote:

> nik gibson wrote:
> > Yep,
> >
> > It looks like it was library linking problems, I tracked it down with
> > ldconfig -v.  Now I have Xvmc working and it looks like garbage, nice
> > low CPU utulization but the OSD is greyscale and with movement I get 2
> > big lines (as if the screen is breaking) across the picture.
> > Alot of work for a really crappy payoff.  I'm starting to get
> > demoralized.  Any idea why the Xvmc picture is bad?  I've tried every
> > possible nvidia-setting.
>
> Sounds like you are describing 'tearing'. See this page:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frame_display_timing#Side_Effects_of_Poor_Timing

 Ok, so I just tested XvMC(which I thought was working) to see what the deal
is.

I have FC6 ATRPMS Myth on a x86_64 machine and an NVidia 7300GS.  I enabled
xvmc(I think) in /etc/X11/XvMConfig and enable it for playback..

However I just did some test, with Standard XvMC set for playback my machine
is running at 40% CPU, using "Standard" of "libmpeg2" I see about 20% CPU.
So obviously something is wrong with XvMC.

When I have a VIA card, you could see X loading the XvMC library in the log,
I do not see anything about it for NVidia, is there some way I can tell if
it is being loaded corectly?

Thanks,
Jake