[mythtv-users] This program was previously recorded... but it wasn't!

Jeff Simpson jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu
Wed Nov 22 17:01:46 UTC 2006

> You love to change table names (dropping "ed" and adding "ing"), don't
> you?  ;)

hehe, oops. You figured out what I meant, i take it.

> The programid field should be a varchar(20) in all tables in which it
> exists (recorded, program, oldrecorded, ...).  That means your
> database--and all the data in the table that has a varchar(6)--is
> corrupt.  Perhaps you had a corrupt database when you upgraded, causing
> the upgrade to fail.  Perhaps it's become corrupt recently.  You do
> still have some backups going back to before you upgraded, right?

Once I figured out that programid was the root cause, i was able to
search and find a similar problem somebody else was having. Turns out
the upgrade to MySQL 4.1 from 4.0 modified all my databases and f-d
them up. The backups I have are just about useless since I updated
schemas since then (upgraded to 0.20). Even if I had a backup of right
before I updated mysql, it wouldn't help, since the mysql format
changed anyway. Basically this upgrade has put me between a rock and a
hard place, and I think I'm going to need to drop the database and
regenerate it from scratch.

> Otherwise, you'll have to set the programid's in recorded (and possibly
> oldrecorded--depending on which table is broken) to something innocuous,
> such as EP8483610000 for Heroes.  Of course this will mess with
> duplicate checking.  If the broken table is program, you can replace the
> data by doing a truncate after altering the field definition and then
> re-running mythfilldatabase.
> But, I'm of the opinion that if you can't trust some of the data, you
> can't trust any of it.  I'd start a new database, but then, I'm a bit OC
> that way.  Oh, and remember, backups are a good thing.  :)

I'm the same way. I think I'm going to just wipe it all and come clean
again. I guess I didn't need any of the old recordings for anything,
but I DO need it to continue recording new things successfully.

 - Jeff