[mythtv-users] This program was previously recorded... but it wasn't!

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Nov 22 16:41:01 UTC 2006

On 11/22/2006 11:14 AM, Jeff Simpson wrote:
> On 11/22/06, Jeff Simpson <jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu> wrote:
>
>>> What does it say on the frontend, not Mythweb
>>>
>> frontend agrees with it (I checked there first), I'm just not in front
>> of my computer at the moment to post a screenshot of that.
> More information on the issue:
>
> I tried deleting all the episodes of Heros out of 'oldrecordings' to
> see if maybe one of them had corrupted itself to look like the newest
> one. Not the case, it still says that one of the current recordings is
> to blame.

OK, now that we've ensured your tables aren't simply in need of a repair
(by running optimize_mythdb.pl), it's worth diagnosing the issue.
Moving from step 1 to step 2...

oldrecorded (i.e. the information I hope you deleted from the
"Previously Recorded" screen in the frontend as opposed to through the
database :) has absolutely no bearing on whether a program that "is
still available in the list of recordings" will be recorded.  You've
probably got some data in recordings.

> I looked at the "recordings' table and found that the programid for
> the episodes are in this form: EP8483610005

You love to change table names (dropping "ed" and adding "ing"), don't
you?  ;)

> the 0005 at the end appears to be the episode number.
>
> What's interesting is that unless I'm mistaken, the programid field is
> a varchar(6). So that value doesn't even fit in that field. Can anyone
> double-check that for me? (I'm running 0.20 db schema)

The programid field should be a varchar(20) in all tables in which it
exists (recorded, program, oldrecorded, ...).  That means your
database--and all the data in the table that has a varchar(6)--is
corrupt.  Perhaps you had a corrupt database when you upgraded, causing
the upgrade to fail.  Perhaps it's become corrupt recently.  You do
still have some backups going back to before you upgraded, right?

Otherwise, you'll have to set the programid's in recorded (and possibly
oldrecorded--depending on which table is broken) to something innocuous,
such as EP8483610000 for Heroes.  Of course this will mess with
duplicate checking.  If the broken table is program, you can replace the
data by doing a truncate after altering the field definition and then
re-running mythfilldatabase.

But, I'm of the opinion that if you can't trust some of the data, you
can't trust any of it.  I'd start a new database, but then, I'm a bit OC
that way.  Oh, and remember, backups are a good thing.  :)

Good luck,
Mike