[mythtv-users] HDTV suggestions - Sharp Aquos?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Nov 22 15:46:35 UTC 2006

On Nov 22, 2006, at 7:33 AM, Jason Pfingstmann wrote:

> Also, since I haven't bought it yet, does anyone have a great looking
> HDTV LCD that they have working really well with MythTV that is about
> 32" or so and not too terribly expensive?  Any suggestions would be
> greatly appreciated.

Not that this is a consumer electronics list, but:

I have a HiSense TL-3220HD unit that I bought for $999 from
TigerDirect 6 months ago, but I'm not sure if this model is still
available. I drive it directly from the VGA output of an nVidia 5700
card and it looks good to me, and I am pickier than most folks.

But you really need to decide if you want to go for something that
will do 1080p, my unit will only do 1080i.

As always it's a cost vs. performance issue, and to a large extent
personal preference.

I've seen re-furbed 37" LCD units as low as $700, but they have
pretty low contrast and brightness numbers.

You might also want to look at the latest Consumer Reports, which has
some info on modern TV sets, but you have to be careful with that
publication for a lot of reasons.