[mythtv-users] Record >1 channel per multiplex?

Rene Bartsch ML at Bartschnet.de
Wed Nov 22 11:20:30 UTC 2006

> The point I was making is that it is not JUST a matter of recording or
> splitting the 'plex,  more a question how you fit such changes into the
> overall system.

I've added a "Hints for implementation" section to
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php?title=Record_multiple_channels_from_one_multiplex

> Point taken.  However,  if you that concerned about power consumption,
> why run 24/365?  My first myth box (still) runs using nvram-wakeup so
> it's only on to record or playback.

Haven't got the VIA mobo in the backend to run with using nvram-wakeup or
ACPI and it's a multi-user system. So shutting down is out of question.

Because of the distributed structure MythTV would be great for landlords
providing multimedia infrastructure in their tenements. Just consider
putting 4 dual-tuner DVB-S cards into a mythtv-backend machine providing
32 TV programs to an unlimited number of flats ... When MythTV supports
UPNP completely the tenants would only need a UPNP client box at the TV
;-)

> As a matter of interest,  how many channels do you get on a DVB-S 'plex?
> My experience is all UK DVB-T.

Just added that information to
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php?title=Record_multiple_channels_from_one_multiplex
 ;-)

By the way, multiplex-recording also allows overlapping recordings on the
same program. I'm quite annoyed with MythTV stopping one recording some
minutes to early to start the next recording on the same program. That way
you have the end of a recording at the beginning of the next one - Arrgh !

Renne