[mythtv-users] added HD capture card, now lirc doesn't detect remote

Kurt Yoder ktymyth at yoderhome.com
Wed Nov 22 04:35:57 UTC 2006

Hi list

I have a myth 0.20 system that was running perfectly with one
Hauppauge PVR 150. Wanting to get HD OTA, I bought a pchdtv HD-5500.
After installing it, lirc suddenly can no longer receive IR events. I
ran "irw" and pushed some buttons on my remote. Before installing the
HD card this would result in IR events. Now it shows nothing.
Thankfully, the IR blaster still works.

My guess is that the HD-5500 somehow grabbed /dev/lirc0? It took
over /dev/video0 and /dev/dsp, bumping the PVR 150 onto /dev/video1
and /dev/dsp1. However, I'm not seeing anything like a /dev/lirc1,
and the major/minor numbers look like they should belong to the PVR 150:

root at corn:~/download# ls -l /dev/lirc*
crw-rw---- 1 root root 61, 0 Nov 20 00:14 /dev/lirc0
srw-rw-rw- 1 root root     0 Nov 21 22:41 /dev/lircd
prw-r--r-- 1 root root     0 Nov 20 00:14 /dev/lircm

(according to http://www.blushingpenguin.com/mark/blog/?p=24, the
major/minor numbers 61,0 are what the PVR 150 should have)

Has anyone else installed these two together and still managed to use
their PVR 150 remote control?

Myth 0.20
Linux 2.6.17
lirc 0.8.0