[mythtv-users] Gigabyte Nforc3 + x86_64 + PVR150 + FC6 no worky

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Nov 21 23:43:55 UTC 2006

On Nov 21, 2006, at 1:24 PM, <cromworshipper-mythtvlist at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> I had a MythTV setup working well with FC4 i386.  I did a clean
> install of
> FC6 x86_64 which went reasonably well, but with one major problem.
> I'm using
> the atrpms repository for nvidia driver, ivtv driver, and mythtv.
>
> The recorded video plays fine for a few seconds and then flickers
> or tears
> very badly.  It's different for different channels, some play with
> only a bit
> of tearing/flickering while others are much worse.

As with any troubleshooting procedure you have to narrow down where
the problem lies. In this case the first thing would be to figure out
if the problem is with the recording or the playback.

I'd start by looking at the direct output of the card with mplayer to
make sure the card is producing a good mpeg stream. Then record the
card's output directly to a file and make sure that's OK. Then have
Myth make a recording.

Do the Myth recordings play OK with mplayer or some other player?
This would confirm the card is recording OK because if it isn't you
do not have a Myth problem at all.

You might also have a problem with your drive subsystem. Check
obvious stuff like DMA being enabled etc. "hdparm -tT" will show you
your basic drive performance.

It's just a case of eliminating one thing at a time until you are
left with the problem issue.