[mythtv-users] HD performance problems

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 21:29:58 UTC 2006

On 21/11/06, Shawn Rutledge <shawn.t.rutledge at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/20/06, David Watkins <watkinshome at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Presumably you've already that checked XvMC is apparently working?
> >
> > 'XvMC found' type messages in the frontend log ( start the frontend
> > from a terminal with)
> >
> > $> mythfrontend -v playback
>
> No, thanks for telling me how to do that.  I piped it to a log and...
>
> [muon][11:07:54 PM] grep -i xvmc /var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log
> 2006-11-20 22:51:31.508 VideoOutputXv: XvMCTex: Init failed

Actually I get that error too!  However, just above below it in the log I get:

'Found a suitable XvMC surface 0'

which I think is good.

I notice that you're running an AMD 64.  There was an issue about a
year ago with XvMC on that CPU.  See here:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/161212?search_string=%2BAMD%20%2B64%20%2BXvMC;#161212

I don't know whether that ever got fixed?