[mythtv-users] What's wrong with this picture?

Trevor Bradley tgb at sfu.ca
Tue Nov 21 20:08:35 UTC 2006

I have to apologize here.  I have posted this to ivtv-users with no response
whatsoever.  I thought I might post it here to get some more eyeballs on my
problem, and some more clues as to where to look next.

I’m having some strange contrast issues with my MythTV recordings.  It’s
almost as if there’s a bad co-ax cable, with a fuzzy image, particularly on
solid coloured backgrounds.

Here’s an example of what I’m talking about:

http://www.internetgenealogy.com/test.mpg (5MB)

I used this exact same PVR-150 card, with the exact same co-axial cable in a
different machine running Windows XP and SageTV, and never had flicker like
I see here.  It’s not crippling, but it’s annoying… I want my Myth PVR-150
recording to be as good as my old Sage box.

I’m running Slackware11, KDE 3.5, ivtv 0.8.0, and MythTV 0.20a

I know this is almost certainly an ivtv problem  (or possibly an
interference problem in the new machine?), but seeing as how they seem more
busy helping people who don’t have audio or video at all, I thought I might
try posting here.

*** Hmm.. now that I think about it… one of the other explanations I’ve
heard about is interference on the PVR card itself...  This new system I’ve
built is a RAID5 system, with 4 hard drives crunching away.  If it *is* an
interference problem, any ideas on how to test it, or to fix it?  Do I need
to build a Faraday Cage around my PVR-150?  Or is it interference from the
motherboard itself?

Are there any ideas as to what this is, and what the potential causes might
be?

Thanks in advance.

--
Trevor Bradley