[mythtv-users] MythTV on a VIA Epia

Jogchum Reitsma j.reitsma at hccnet.nl
Tue Nov 21 19:54:33 UTC 2006

Brett Kosinski schreef:

>     For anyone who is running Myth on an Epia - how is the playback
>     quality on live tv?
>
>     Any recommendations on Epia model for a new deployment?
>

> Well, what do you plan to watch on it?  If you're just going to decode
> MPEG2, something as lowly as an ME6000 would do the job (with xvmc +
> the onboard MPEG2 decoder), and it's fanless to boot.  OTOH, if you
> plan to watch other material (eg, MPEG4, etc), you'll want something
> with a bit more heft.   If you're happy with fans, I'd probably go for
> something like the M10000.  It's popular, seemingly well supported,
> and should be able to handle any SD content you'd throw at it.
>
> Regardless, other than the more recent boards (like my EN12000EG :( ),
> the driver support for the EPIAs is pretty solid, so you should be
> okay, whatever you choose.  You can take a look at the wiki on
> www.openchrome.org <http://www.openchrome.org> to see which video
> chipsets are currently supported.
>
> Brett.

Do you what support problems I can expect with the CN700 chipset? I am
planning to buy a EN15000G; to use it as a mythtv backend (no frontend
really) and as a NAS server. It has on-board Gbit Lan (a must for a NAS
I think) and the one PCI-slot can be used for the Hauppauge PVR 150 I own.
 From the wiki at www.openchrome.org <http://www.openchrome.org> I
conclude that the CN700 is well supported (see

http://wiki.openchrome.org/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=HardwareCaveats

so there's no problem apparently?

Or is the problem that the chipset itself is crippled (as Paul Bender,
if I understand him correctly) states?

Thanks for any info.

Jogchum