[mythtv-users] Small Front End?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Nov 21 19:46:56 UTC 2006

On Nov 21, 2006, at 11:52 AM, Rich West wrote:

>> Why 64-bit ? Myth doesn't need it or benefit from it.
>>

> No real reason other than the fact that if I had to have a full-blown
> Linux system as a front end, I'd rather be buying in to relatively
> current technology than technology that is being phased out.  Besides,
> it makes it easier to manage if all of the systems in the house are
> the
> same architecture, and it makes it easier, in the long run, for
> upgrades.

I agree that if I were buying a new PC these days I'd get a 64-bit
machine, also dual-core (in fact I have an FX-60 as my regular
desktop, not running Myth).

But that's if I wanted a full-blown-PC. For a Myth SD frontend any
reasonably recent 32-bit machine will do, unless you want it to do
things other than be a F/E for SD.

But if you have the cash to spend there's nothing wrong with getting
more than you need, except it gets harder to get a quiet one.

>>> The main thing is that you didn't mention if you are trying to do HD
>>> or not, which makes a *HUGE* difference in the required hardware.
>>>

> I guess I did leave that off, didn't I?  We're primarily SD for
> television, and HD (well as HD as you can get) for watching DVD's
> (soon
> to be served by MythVideo).

DVDs are definitely *not* HD. Even if you have some method of
upconverting the output the mpeg stream is not HD to start with. You
would have to go to Blu-Ray or HD-DVD to get real HD, and I think
most of us will wait for the Format Wars to be settled before we make
that jump.