[mythtv-users] Totally OT - but need help wit RAID5 array

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Tue Nov 21 15:21:12 UTC 2006

On Tue Nov 21, 2006 at 09:58:18AM -0500, James Pifer wrote:

> > Okay, looks like that one's corrupt as well :(  You can get a list of
> > superblock locations by running "mke2fs -n /dev/md0" (don't worry - this
> > won't actually create a filesystem, just print out what it would have
> > done).  You can then try each in turn (I'd start at the end, in case the
> > corruption is all at the start of the disk) with e2fsck.
> >
> > If all of these fail then I'd say you're stuffed :(  Did you get any
> > feedback from the dd_recover as to how much of the disk it managed to
> > copy without errors?
> >

> Well, here's where I'm at, and I appear to be stuck. It keeps failing at
> this point. Any suggestions?
>
> James
>
> # e2fsck -y /dev/md0
> e2fsck 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
> /dev/md0 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
<-- snip -->
> Segmentation fault

That's not good :(  Have you tried rerunning it?  It should be writing
the fixes out as it finds them, so as long as it's picking up (and
fixing) some errors on each run, I'd just keep rerunning.  It may also
be worth trying to find an updated version of e2fsck (I've got 1.39 on
my system) for your distribution, as this may have fixed whatever
problem there is.  If it fails at the same point every time then you'll
have to try to contact the authors/maintainers of e2fsck and see whether
they can suggest anything - I'm out of my depth at that point.

Cheers,
        Robin
--
     ___