[mythtv-users] Building from source

Mark Paulus mark.paulus at verizonbusiness.com
Mon Nov 20 23:18:03 UTC 2006

Michael Tiller wrote:
> I'm running Ubuntu 6.10 and I've installed mythtv via apt-get.  Now I'd
> like to try to build the "fixes" version from the fixes branch.  Should
> I "configure" the source version to install into /usr?  Should I remove
> the existing MythTV package (apt-get remove ???) before installing the
> source version?  If the source version is buggy/unacceptable how can I
> restore the package version (is apt-get install sufficient)?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> --

What I have done in the past:
(This is all for debian, and I'm not sure how much would apply to
debian, but since they seem similar, I would think it might work).

First, do an 'apt-get build-dep mythtv'  That will make sure you have
everything necessary to build the myth packages.

Then do an 'apt-get source mythtv'  This will download the source
packageball, and unpack it into /usr/src/mythtv-0.xx.y

in /usr/src do an '$ svn export
http://svn.mythtv.org/svn/branches/release-0-20-fixes/mythtv
mythtv-0.20.1.pre1'

cd into mythtv-0.20.1.pre1, and copy in the debian directory from
/usr/mythtv-0.xx.y

edit debian/changelog, (I use the dch command, debianchangelog, which
adds a formatted changelog entry for me).  Create an entry for
mythtv-0.20.1.pre1, and put some comments about building against the
latest 0.20-fixes release.

do a 'debuild' if it's available.  Otherwise, 'fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage'.

If everything goes well, you should have a new set of packages in
/usr/src that are titled mythtv_0.20.1.pre1....deb.  You should be able
to 'dpkg --install' these packages and manage them just like your other
packages.

Once again, these are debian specific instructions.  I'm not sure how
much/little they will cross over to Ubuntu land, but this wiki page
might also be very helpful:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Building_DEBs_from_SubVersion

--
Mark Paulus
2424 Garden of the Gods Rd  | Phone:  v622-5578 / 719-535-5578