[mythtv-users] Card That Gives The Best Quality Picture?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Nov 20 21:52:41 UTC 2006

On Nov 20, 2006, at 1:37 PM, Armblessed wrote:

> Wow.  Thanks everyone for clarifying that for me.  I didn't know
> that LiveTV on MythTV wasn't...well...Live :)
> I was wondering why there was a delay in the signal between the TV
> in my living room and the MythTV box.
>
> I have used that Samsung patch from Madslab.com and it did fix up
> the picture nicely on the PVR-500.  I also have
> a signal booster on the cable card but I can tell you that between
> the both of those, it still not as crisp as it is on
> the TV in the living room.  I figure that it should look crisper on
> a 21" LCD screen but I've heard that sometimes, that
> is not the case.

My DirecTV SD signal looked a lot better on my 32" CRT than it does
on my 42" LCD. I can see all the compression artifacts from DirecTV
on the LCD that blended all in on the CRT. Since your LCD is so much
better than your CRT now you can see the terrible resolution coming
over the pipe. :)

> I realize now that I may have blamed the card for my lack of
> experience with fine tuning it.  You all have put me back
> on the right track.
>
> So is my original question a moot issue?  Is the PVR-500 one of the
> best cards out there for MythTV?

PVR-500 is a fine card and should look just as good as any other PVR
card which in my opinion give the best results. you *might* be better
off with a PVR-150 since there isn't as much noise on the card having
only 1 tuner and it's not splitting the signal at all, but unless
you're looking at them side-by-side, I doubt anyone could really tell
there's any difference.