[mythtv-users] Freevo, Tivo & MythTV

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Nov 20 18:58:14 UTC 2006

On Nov 20, 2006, at 11:23 AM, David Brodbeck wrote:

> Simon Allcorn wrote:
>> So in theory we should
>> never use sawp if we have any file cache available, however
>> nothing is
>> perfect and I had a problem on a box a while ago were it seemed that
>> once file cache memory had been allocated it would not get
>> de-allocated, which meant swap filling up and getting lots of OOMs,
>> which was nice :)
>>

> There were some bugs in that area in the early 2.6.x kernels, when
> they
> were playing with the virtual memory model.  This was complicated
> by the
> kernel team's decision to move away from having designated 'stable'
> and
> 'unstable' kernel series, which meant a lot of people started using
> 2.6.x while it was still in a half-baked state.

I agree that the old system of the "odd" kernel versions being
developmental and the "even" ones being production ones was far better.

Linus has stated that the new system makes for "smoother" kernel
development, which I'm sure is true. He has also stated that
stability testing is "boring", and should be left to the Distro makers.

Unfortunately both attitudes leave us poor users with less stable
kernels at times :-(

I'm sure things would be even less "boring" and "smoother" if all of
us users would switch to Windows and stop annoying the devs with
things like wanting our kernels to actually work :-)

Please take the above in the joking spirit in which it was meant, the
present 2.6.x kernels are pretty good for most purposes.