[mythtv-users] HD on SP8000?

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Mon Nov 20 18:26:36 UTC 2006

Chad wrote:
> On 11/20/06, Udo van den Heuvel <udovdh at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Anybody here running HD content on a VIA SP8000 successfully?
>> I read mixed reports so I am lookign for clues on how to make stuff
>> work. SD works fine. I am in PAL-land if that matters.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Udo
>
> Hello!
>
>>From the best of what I've gathered, the work going into MythTV for
> using the Via chipsets to display HDTV is going into the MythTV-VID
> branch.
>
> Using the MythTV-VID branch, I'm still unable to get HDTV working with
> my SP13000 (same as the SP8000 for myth's purposes), nor on my Commell
> LV-667T (CN400 also).  Assuming you are using either DVI or VGA; the
> TV encoder is not capable of displaying HDTV resolutions (it's a
> hardware limitation of th VT1623 chipset whereas HDTV over VGA/DVI
> using the CN400 chipset is a software limitation that only applies to
> MythTV as HDTV displays fine in Xine).
>
> So, using mainstream (unpatched) 0.20 or 0.20-fixes currently does not
> allow HDTV playback; and last test I made (SVN from about a month ago)
> SVN didn't either.  There are some patches that sort of work, if you
> check Trac you will probably be able to find them.

Thanks for these tips.
I found that xvmc playback works but with stutters etc.
xvmc complains about not being able to form a surface. (even though I
gave 64M to video mem and told Xine to use extra pages)
I know I have no VT1625 but want to be able to view the content, al be
it on lower res display.
xvinfo gives 1920*1280 or so so there is potential?

When xine works, Myth is the next step in my idea.