[mythtv-users] The final word in the Live TV yay-nay debate

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Mon Nov 20 18:04:00 UTC 2006

Marco Nelissen <marcone at xs4all.nl> says:
> I'm so sorry! If I had realized that the average user has almost 2
> terabytes of recordings, I would never have suggested that live TV
> is a much-used feature...

Forget HD, then. I'd be the first one to admit that there's no way I
will ever end up watching all 20.5 days' worth of programming I have
available; programs inevitable expire before I get to them
(<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/213810#213810>).
As I pointed out, I had 246 hours (well, in practice, about 150 hours)
of SD programming available back in 2001 with a total of 200GB, which
is a fraction of what many, if not most, non-HD MythTV users have
nowadays. And guess what? The same thing happened back then, too;
programs would expire off the TiVo before I could get to them. C'est
la vie.

Choice is what matters. The unparalleled selection of programs and
channels North Americans take for granted means that, even if an
American and a Scot or Finn each own the same amount of disk space,
the American will likely fill his up a lot faster.