[mythtv-users] alsa sound problem with two pchdtv-5500 cards

Michael Larson mythtv at lrlart.com
Mon Nov 20 17:51:33 UTC 2006

Hello,

I have two pchdtv-5500 cards and onboard sound (k8ngm2-fid)--but my
problem is that the sound card is that alsa sometimes attaches to the
wrong sound card on boot (to one of the pchdtv-5500 cards rather than
the onboard sound).

The boot order (card assignment) is variable on boot. Alsa attaches to
the first card in the boot sequence--so looking at /proc/asound/cards
shows:

[root at lrlart ~]# cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [CX8801_1       ]: CX88x - Conexant CX8801
                      Conexant CX8801 at 0xf8000000
 1 [NVidia         ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
                      HDA NVidia at 0xf3fd0000 irq 217
 2 [CX8801         ]: CX88x - Conexant CX8801
                      Conexant CX8801 at 0xfc000000

I want the NVidia card as the first card in the sequence for sound to
work.

Now, I had a fix (from this list--thanks), when I had a single card. And
that was to add the following line to /etc/modprobe.conf:

options cx88_alsa index=2

Which worked for the single pchdtv-5500 card, but with two cards the
behavior has now reverted to a random order on boot. I've tried adding
a second "options cx88_alsa index=3", but this hasn't worked--and I
wonder if the cards need to be differentiated between in the options
statement for this to work. I've also tried this as well:

alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
options snd-intel8x0 index=0
alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
remove snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss; /sbin/modprobe
--first-time -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install
snd-intel8x0 && { /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }

alias snd-card-1 cx88-alsa
alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
options snd-card-1 index=1

alias snd-card-2 cx88-alsa
alias sound-slot-2 snd-card-2
options cnd-card-2 index=2

But no luck either--has anyone on this list had a similar problem with
two pchdtv-5500 capture cards? Any idea what to put in modprobe.conf to
fix? Thanks all!

Mike