[mythtv-users] Sound Issues on Live TV

Taylan Pince taylan at taylanpince.com
Mon Nov 20 02:04:26 UTC 2006

On 19-Nov-06, at 7:57 PM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:

> On Nov 19, 2006, at 3:51 PM, Taylan Pince wrote:

>>> Is there anything indicating a problem in your logs? It sounds like
>>> it's losing control over your device for some reason or another and
>>> it needs to close/reopen the device to get it back. Also, are you
>>> using ALSA or OSS?
>>
>> After some digging, I found this message:
>>
>> NVP : : AddAudioData():p1: Audio buffer overflow, audio data lost!
>>
>> I am using ALSA, as it is the default in the Fedora Core kernel that
>> I have.
>>
>> Could this be a performance issue? I ran this machine with 256MB of
>> RAM for months, and it didn't have any problems. Now it has 768MB,
>> and a whole lot more hard drive space (recently added another 400GB
>> to LVM). So I am not sure why there would be an overflow problem.
>>
>> Thanks again.
>>
>> Taylan
>
> There's an option to increase your audio buffer for playback. You
> might need to enable that. I'm sorry I don't remember off the top of
> my head where that option is, but I seem to remember it being in TV
> Playback. Extra Audio Buffering I think it's called.

I found that after sending my previous message. Turned it on
immediately, and it seemed to work for an hour without issues. Now
it's back though, having the exact same problem again, about every 5
to 10 minutes.

While researching possible causes of audio buffer overflow, I found a
message saying closed captioning might be the culprit. I am not
exactly sure how to turn it off though.

Taylan