[mythtv-users] Stuck at 640x480 after isntalled Axel's kernel modules

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 01:23:02 UTC 2006

I hope this isn't OT - I know it's not myth-specific, but since it's using
Axel's modules via Jarrod's guide, I thought it appropriate. If not, please
flog me appropriately.

I just installed FC6 on a fresh system following Jarrod's updated guide. I'm
running a Chaintech GeForce FX 5200 AGP video card. After the initial
install, I was stuck at either 640x480 or 800x600, but I plugged on, hoping
all the driver updates would give me a higher resolution. However, after
updating the Nvidia drivers, I'm stuck with nothing but 640x480 in the KDE
resolution options. I've modified my xorg.conf trying to mimic the example
at http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/xorg.conf-SVid.txt , but that did nothing. One
thing I noticed was that Axel's xorg.conf was a big minimal, and after
further inspection it turned out that my own xorg.conf was a bit minimal.
Before I go all willy-nilly and break my system further, I was hoping you
guys could help. I'll paste the config files below, hopefully somebody can
tell me where I've gone wrong:

Initial xorg.conf, pre-Axel:

# Xorg configuration created by pyxf86config

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Default Layout"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load  "v4l"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nv"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "Module"
EndSection
Now, the xorg.conf post- Axel:

# Xorg configuration created by pyxf86config

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Default Layout"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Files"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
        EndSubSection
EndSection
And finally, the xorg.conf I tried using based on the examples on Jarrod's
page. I modified the "Device" and "Screen" settings:

# Xorg configuration created by pyxf86config

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Default Layout"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Files"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"