[mythtv-users] Sound Issues on Live TV

Taylan Pince taylan at taylanpince.com
Sun Nov 19 23:51:34 UTC 2006

On 19-Nov-06, at 3:56 PM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:

> On Nov 19, 2006, at 12:51 PM, Taylan Pince wrote:
>
>> Pausing, or rewinding doesn't work at all. It only comes back if I
>> leave the playback, go back to the menu, and start playing again. I
>> noticed that it doesn't only happen with Live TV anymore, it's the
>> same with recorded shows.
>>
>> The important thing to note is, the sound is fine on all recordings.
>> Even if I lose the sound while playing back, the information is
>> there, so if I leave and come back, it plays back normally.
>>
>> The sound card is the generic one that's on my motherboard, I believe
>> it's Intel. I don't think the issue is related to that, as I have
>> been using it for months without issues.
>>
>> Thanks again for your help.
>>
>> Taylan
>
> Is there anything indicating a problem in your logs? It sounds like
> it's losing control over your device for some reason or another and
> it needs to close/reopen the device to get it back. Also, are you
> using ALSA or OSS?

After some digging, I found this message:

NVP : : AddAudioData():p1: Audio buffer overflow, audio data lost!

I am using ALSA, as it is the default in the Fedora Core kernel that
I have.

Could this be a performance issue? I ran this machine with 256MB of
RAM for months, and it didn't have any problems. Now it has 768MB,
and a whole lot more hard drive space (recently added another 400GB
to LVM). So I am not sure why there would be an overflow problem.

Thanks again.

Taylan