[mythtv-users] Random DMA errors

Peter Carlsson maillist.peter at home.se
Sun Nov 19 17:53:37 UTC 2006

John Drescher skrev:

> On 11/19/06, *Peter Carlsson* <maillist.peter at home.se
>> <mailto:maillist.peter at home.se>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hello!
>>
>>     I have recently observed random DMA errors. Since I haven't had
>>     this problem before I haven't taken notice when there was a
>>     discussion about DMA errors on this list. Now I have checked
>>     the earlier posts but it does not seems to be the exact same
>>     problem.

<snip>

> This is a known problem with ivtv and some hardware and cpu powersaving.
> Check the ivtv user list for some help and a selection of workarounds.

Yes, I have seen lots of posts about the DMA error but at that time
I didn't had those problems.

> Is this error causing video or audio artifacts? Can you easily upgrade
> your kernel to 2.6.18 and ivtv to 0.8?

The DMA error could happen anywhere in a recording and I haven't
actually seen any artifacts since I immediately deleted the
recordings. The recordings that do not have the DMA error looks
OK, without any artifacts. Maybe not comes as a surprise...

The 2.6.18 kernel have not yet managed its way in to Debian testing
and I hesitate a little bit to do a forced upgrade.

Would the DMA problem be solved if I upgrade to 2.6.17 and 0.7?

Best regards,
Peter Carlsson