[mythtv-users] Why is MythTV recording shows I just watch?

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Sun Nov 19 16:11:59 UTC 2006

On Sun Nov 19, 2006 at 04:32:47PM +0100, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:

> Robin Hill wrote:
> > On Sun Nov 19, 2006 at 03:11:53PM +0100, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
> >> I notice that when I use the 'Watch TV' menu choice to watch TV
> >> recordings show up in the place I set for them although I did not record
> >> anything. Also no scheduled recordings were in that timeframe.
> >> The recordings show just up as the files not in the menu's where one can
> >> watch past recordings.
> >> This is a very simple setup with one tuner, one channel.
> >> What is wrong? How can I fix this?
> >>
> > There isn't anything to fix - this is how it's supposed to work.
> > Anything you watch through Myth is recorded - it's put into a special
> > group in the Watch Recordings section (not shown normally - there's a
> > config option to toggle this though) and set to expire first (either as
> > needed or after a day by default IIRC).  This allows you to decide
> > (after starting watching, or even after it's finished) that you want to
> > keep the recording the program.
> >
> > This shouldn't cause any issues with your use of the system - the files
> > will be deleted automatically if space is needed.
>
> Ah, oh. That explains a lot. Thanks!
> I am interested in the config option you mention.
> And perhaps the easiest way to keep a show that was not scheduled to
> record but afterwards was found more interesting.
> Any tips about this?

The menu option is "Show 'Live TV' recordings when using 'All Programmes'
filter" - it's under Utilities/Setup, Setup, TV Settings, Playback, then
on the 4th page.  Alternately, you can see them by choosing the Live TV
group from the Watch Recordings section (hit 'm' to bring up the menu,
the choose 'Change Group Filter' and then select the LiveTV group).

In order to save a program, select it from the "Watch Recordings"
screen (as above) and change its Recording Group (hit the 'i' key,
choose 'Storage Options', then 'Change Recording Group') to anything
other than LiveTV.  You may also want to diable the auto-expire for that
recording.

> Is there a way to find the filename of the recording of a particular
> program that was on air some time ago?

The easiest way to do this is to use the mythrename.pl script (not sure
where this'll be installed on your system - it's in the contrib
directory in the original source).  This can be used to create symlinks
containing the original program names.

HTH,
        Robin
--