[mythtv-users] mythtv-setup

njbweb njbweb at bresnan.net
Sun Nov 19 14:26:28 UTC 2006

smartin wrote:
> njbweb wrote:
>> smartin wrote:
>>

>>> My Problem is this: When I try to run mythtv-setup I get
>>> Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
>>> Xlib: No protocol specified
>>>
>>> mythtv-setup: cannot connect to X server :0.0
>>>
>>> I have looked thru the wiki and tried different things but must be
>>> missing something obvious
>>>

>> I can reproduce this error by:
>>
>> - logging into X as 'nick'
>> - running mythtv-setup as 'su mythtv' in Konsole
>>
>>  From what login environment are you trying to launch mythtv-setup?

> I am trying from terminal at boot as well as from window manager
> matchbox. I find now after doing some more reading tonight that I should
> be doing this as myself and not root.
>
> After running myth-setup as myself, the window opens asking me for the
> host name and mythtv user nme etc. But now i am getting messages that I
> cant connect to the database. 'Access denied for user mythtv at localhost'
> (using password:YES)

You're using the Debian packages, right? If so, make sure you are using
the database credentials in

/etc/mythtv/mysql.txt

and that you are logged in as the 'mythtv' user.

You can check connection to the database from the command line by using:

mysql -u mythtv -p mythconverg

and entering the DB password when prompted. This should get you the
'mysql>' prompt. Enter '\q' to exit.