[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend segfaults on load

Dylan Semler dylan.semler at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 05:24:25 UTC 2006

On 11/18/06, Gerald Schepens <schepens at shaw.ca> wrote:

> I had yum updated to kernel 2.6.18-1.2849.fc6 and also got the required
> ivtv, nvidia lirc packages with the necessary kernel modules, so when I
> rebooted a couple of days ago, I was running kernel 2.6.18-1.2849.fc6.
>
> When I tried to start mythfrontend, nothing happened.  This is on my :0
> display (monitor with nvidia card).  Further exploration revealed that
> the frontend was dying very shortly after figuring out what painter I
> had selected.  The log in verbose mode gives the following:

<snip>

> And that's it -- after that, the front end segfaults.
>
> The frontend that runs in the vnc window runs correctly and the remote
> even works with it.  I did a -v all with it and I've attached the log.
> (The frontend does a query or two doesn't it!)
>
> Most notably, the vnc session hasn't got some of the bells and whistles
> of the actual front end such as GLX and RANDR.  Hopefully somebody can
> tell what's gone wrong from looking at all this.

While troubleshooting a different problem, I swapped my GPU to an older card
that I had and noticed mythtv segfaulting as well.  I think it is a GLX
problem as glxgears segfaulted too.  I was using the same kernel as you (
2.6.18-1.2849.fc6) and a GeForce 4200 Ti.  I didn't really investigate it
too much because switching back to my newer GPU solved this, but it seems
something may have changed in the recent kernel/nvidia driver/nvidia kernel
module to cause this.  Verify that glxgears segfaults as well and then try
rolling back.  Post your results--I had been fearing something was broken
with my old GPU.

--
Dylan

Type faster.  Use Dvorak: